Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Becky, Esq.

So, yesterday I had my first case. I got the case from the VLSP on Wednesday and interviewed my client then. The court appearance was yesterday morning. I was freaked. I mean - I've been to court under a practice order....I did moot court...I took trial tech.....but this was the first time I actually had to be a lawyer. For real.
It went really well. It's a visitation case, so it's kind depressing and hard, but I did a good job. My client gave me a hug when it was over and told me how great a job I did and how lucky she was to have me representing her. That was awesome to hear. I mean - this was for real - real people's lives - not just a grade or a reference.
So...if a settlement can't be reached, the case will proceed to trial in July. I don't want that to have to happen, considering the circumstances, but I'm ready for the challenge.
And, like I said to Clay, if I do enough of this for free....I can start chargin people on my own. Whooo extra income. For now, I'm bucking for 50 hours of pro bono in 07, which would qualify me to be called "Empire State Counsel" - Now THAT looks way better on a resume than what I do at my real job =)

No comments: